Wondering when you book newborn photos?
The best time to book your newborn photo session is while you’re pregnant, generally during the second trimester. The second best time to book a newborn photo session is within the first week or two after birth because that’s when we’ll try to fit you into our schedule.
During the first 2 weeks after birth, your baby is usually sleepier, naps frequently, and will be easier to get into those squishy newborn poses.
If you didn’t book your session in advance and are beyond those first 14 days, you can still have photos done with your new baby. However, we need to adjust our expectations. Babies are always unpredictable, but it can be more challenging to get your baby to sleep when they’re a bit older, and I can’t guarantee any specific poses.
Tips for booking newborn photos:
- Research your options. Of course, you want to make sure you like their work, but I also recommend going with somebody who specializes in newborn photography and has training in handling newborns. You do not want to trust your brand-new baby in the hands of just anybody.
- Have an idea for what you want to do with your photos. Do you want images to share online with grandparents who live far away? Do you want an updated family photo over the fireplace?
- Get to know your photographer. Whether it’s with a phone call, a quick zoom, or meeting over coffee, it’s a good idea to make sure you feel comfortable with your photographer.
- Assuming you’re looking for a photographer while you’re pregnant, a maternity session is a great way to further build that relationship with your photographer.
- Once you’ve found a photographer whose work and experience you like, who you trust and get along with, and who can provide the level of service and products that you’re looking for, lock it down. Book your newborn session.
Ready to book your newborn session?
If you have or are expecting a new baby in lower Michigan and would love to have images printed and up on the wall without having to do it yourself, I might be the photographer for you.
You can send me an e-mail at Rachel@goodhewphotography.com to see if I’m the right fit for you.